Tanith Lee (was Re: A long ramble: Regency fantasy, book recommendations, etc.)

Tue Sep 4 14:29:20 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:07:17 +0100, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>Melissa, quoting I forget whom:
>
>>>I LOVED The Dragon Hoard when I first encountered it in the '70s It is one
>>>of her earliest, along with one of other prince and princess stories.
>>
>> I'm almost certain I've read this one or the other one and just loved it,
>> but I've never been able to find them again.
>
>Ditto!  (That's one with Prince Jasleth in it, isn't it?)

I think that's his name.  For a book I loved, I'm having the hardest time
remembering any of the details... :)

>My brother borrowed it (or something like it) from the library, years ago when
>we were 13 and 10 or thereabouts.  I loved it, so I looked for TL next time I
>was in the library, borrowed "The Winter Players", and was hooked for life.  But
>never remembered the title of the original book...

I had a weird experience with it.  When I was a teenager somebody told me
the plot of _The Dragon Hoard_ with such detail that I later believed I had
read it myself.  Then I found it in the library in college and realized that
I hadn't ever read it before.  Now I occasionally have flashbacks to scenes
from it without remembering that that's the book they come from.  I have
*got* to get this book, if only to keep myself from completely falling
apart.

As it turns out, Tanith Lee's YA titles also have the greatest and most
direct influence on my own writing.  I should either write her a thank-you
letter or an abject apology (though since I have never finished or published
anything, it's not like she cares).

>PS Textbook prices.  Ouch!  I never paid anything like that for my textbooks (I
>dropped chemistry after my first year, 1986-87).  I also hardly looked at them
>during my years of study...

One advantage to majoring in English lit is that most of the books are
really cheap.  :)

Melissa Proffitt