Joan Aiken (Was: Re: Regency and other fantasy)

Tue Sep 4 14:20:11 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:47:30 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Melissa:
>
>>  >Georgia:

>>I don't know if I would have put it this way, but at least for the one I've
>>read, that's how it seems.  Actually to me it felt a little like Thomas
>>Hardy, where that's just the way the world is--completely uninterested in
>>the small fates of Aiken's protagonists, and all the possibilities are
>>heavily weighted toward Bad Luck.
>
>Ergh.  Um, not for me.  But then I'm not a Hardy fan and you are, so
>maybe we're talking different feelings here.  :)  But we can discuss
>it more after (if) you've read them.

Well, yes, because I only have one data point to generalize from right now.
:)  But it's probably fair to say that because Hardy's impersonal universe
thing doesn't bother me, it also doesn't affect my enjoyment of Joan Aiken
to characterize _Midnight is a Place_ as similar.

Thanks for the series order!  I also am going to get _Eliza's Daughter_ to
see what the JA sequel is like.  According to the Amazon.com customer
reviews, some of her sequels are very good and others are very bad--and at
least one person said Aiken used phrases and plot elements that Jane Austen
never would have.  So we'll see.  It's possible Aiken means only to
*continue* the story rather than imitate Austen's writing style,
which...actually I don't know whether that would be better or worse.  The
sequel to _Pride and Prejudice_, for example, follows Lady Catherine rather
than any of the main characters from that novel.

I guess I am going back to the library later today....

Melissa Proffitt