Howl film news

andrew osmond andrew at ozma.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 08:28:31 EDT 2001

The following news-story has appeared on ScreenDaily.com, the web-site
of the trade magazine Screen International.

Studio Ghibli's new film to be directed by rival
Mark Schilling in Tokyo
September 02, 2001
Studio Ghibli, whose Spirited Away is breaking Japanese box office
records, has embarked on a new feature, based on Howls Moving Castle, a
childrens fantasy novel by British author Diane Wynne. But in a first
for the studio, the director is not Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata, the
two master animators who co-founded the Studio in 1985, but Mamoru
Hosoda, a veteran with rival Toei Animation, whose credits includes the
popular Digimon franchise.

"Yoshifumi Kondo directed one of our films, Whisper of the Heart (1985),
but it started as a TV program," explained a Ghibli spokesman. "This is
the first time we've had someone other than Miyazaki or Takahata -- or
someone from outside the company -- direct a feature from the
beginning.". The film is being prepared for a summer 2003 release.
Following the release of his latest film, Spirited Away, Miyazaki, 60,
announced that he was retiring from animation directing. Takahata, whose
last Ghibli film was My Neighbors the Yamadas (2000), has not yet
announced his next project.

In a related development, Ghibli is reportedly in negotiation with
several Hollywood studios to release Spirited Away in the United States.
Disney, whose Miramax division released another Ghibli domestic
blockbuster, Princess Mononoke, has also been in discussions to
distribute Spirited Away, but the departure of former chairman Peter
Schneider, who was Ghiblis most important ally in the company, has
"complicated matters," said a Ghibli source.

Screendaily.com
--
andrew osmond