Tanith Lee (was Re: A long ramble: Regency fantasy, book recommendations, etc.)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 08:07:17 EDT 2001

Melissa, quoting I forget whom:

>>I LOVED The Dragon Hoard when I first encountered it in the '70s It is one
>>of her earliest, along with one of other prince and princess stories.
>
> I'm almost certain I've read this one or the other one and just loved it,
> but I've never been able to find them again.

Ditto!  (That's one with Prince Jasleth in it, isn't it?)

My brother borrowed it (or something like it) from the library, years ago when
we were 13 and 10 or thereabouts.  I loved it, so I looked for TL next time I
was in the library, borrowed "The Winter Players", and was hooked for life.  But
never remembered the title of the original book...

Rebecca:

> I went to the used bookstore here and they had two Tanith Lee books and the
> third book in the Riddle Master series and I was very tempted to get them,
> but I spent my book money for the month on textbooks :(  Such is the price
> for being a science major.  (Over 100 dollars for an organic chem book, ah
> me.)  Is there a particular order in which Lee books _must_ be read?  Any I
> should shy away from?

Purely a matter of taste.  There are several series, none of which (iirc) needs
to be read in order.

I don't dislike any of them enough to post a negative recommendation to the
list.  I would say, if you don't like one, try a different one, because many,
nay, most of them are not for all tastes.

Philip.

PS Textbook prices.  Ouch!  I never paid anything like that for my textbooks (I
dropped chemistry after my first year, 1986-87).  I also hardly looked at them
during my years of study...

prohibited.

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432