Joan Aiken (Was; Re Regency and other fantasy)

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 19:26:02 EDT 2001

I've been following this thread with interest, as I have most of JAs
books. The best of them I love, but I definitely have to be in the
right mood. I think the ones I prefer are the out and out dark ones
(like Dido and Pa) to the ones that while, appearing lighter, have a
looming edginess. The most shocking, imo, is "Is", haven't read it
for a while, but the eponymous heroine, so called because the
woman in whose house she lives declares that she's " 'is" as in
"his" meaning Dido's Pa.

I somehow doubt that a Dwj mother and an Aiken father could
successfully raise children between them at all. JA's father was the
poet Conrad Aiken, iirc not a good parent. i find it interesting that
many of the fathers in JA are similarly talented.

Ven

magic, if present, can do almost anything

Diana Wynne Jones