DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Mon Sep 3 16:44:43 EDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 21:20:24 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Melissa burbled:
>>I hate being disappointed by books.  Last night, having nothing better to do
>>with my time, and with Alexlit permanently disabled as far as my account
>>goes (nobody knows why, Jacob can't fix it, they can't fix it, so who
>>knows?) not to mention that it's not recommending anything I want to read, I
>>used the Amazon.com recommendation feature.  It's not great--what am I
>>saying, it's barely useful--but I went through it three times sorting out
>>books to see if it would come up with anything new.  Sometimes I got very
>>excited about titles only to see that they were VERY poorly rated, the
>>excerpts were awful, and they were just plain GENERIC.  Which ought to be a
>>swear word as far as books go.
>
>:)  But - I must say in defence of Amazon's recommendations - I
>discovered _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ from them.  So if I never got
>one other decent recommendation, I'd consider myself in debt to them
>forever.  Hey - *and* _Crown Duel_ - that was another Amazon winner!

But you forget that if you HADN'T found _To Say Nothing of the Dog_ some of
us would have made you read it anyway....

I am actually a big fan of the Amazon.com newsletter recommendations.  I've
found a number of really good books that way, most recently Tanith Lee's
_Wolf Tower_.  The actual recommendation feature on the website has been
less useful.  It does recommend books I'll like--I know because I've already
read them.  :)  I think it's worthwhile to subscribe to the newsletter,
though.  It comes about once a month, it's tailored to a specific topic (I
get the YA, Fantasy and SF, and Children's ones) and there are real live
people picking the books.  Now, if it turns out that they do start selling
space in the newsletter to publishers, the quality may go downhill fast.
But for now, it's a great way to find new books.

Melissa Proffitt