Tanith Lee (was Re: A long ramble: Regency fantasy, book recommendations, etc.)

Mon Sep 3 16:09:01 EDT 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:01:45 EDT, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

>I LOVED The Dragon Hoard when I first encountered it in the '70s It is one of
>her earliest, along with one of other prince and princess stories.

I'm almost certain I've read this one or the other one and just loved it,
but I've never been able to find them again.

>The unicorn trilogy which she brought out recently is also a pleasing
>read, but I never was really that fond of her darker work.

I liked the unicorn trilogy too.  I also just read the first two books of
her newest YA series The Claidi Journals, _Wolf Tower_ and _Wolf Star_.
She's great with first-person perspective and, as the series name suggests,
these are supposedly a girl's journals so there's plenty of room for
fiddling around with perspective.  But what I really liked was how what
appears to be a standard fantasy romance (though a VERY well done one)
starts becoming something more serious in the second book.  No easy choices
here; very much like DWJ in that way.

Melissa Proffitt