Seven Citadels (was Re: Book recommendations)

Mon Sep 3 15:58:27 EDT 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 05:39:50 -0400 (EDT), Kyra Jucovy wrote:

>the Seven Citadels quartet by Geraldine Harris - I don't think I can
>emphasize enough how much I love these books.  But the copies that my
>library has of them has a DWJ blurb on the back, so maybe that'll pursuade
>people to read them.  This is just a fantastically detailed world,
>and, again, I _love_ the characters.  Yum, yum, yum.  Basically, the book
>is about an ancient empire which is clearly doomed.  A young prince and
>his half-brother (IIRC the son of a concubine) must save it by
>encountering seven immortal sorcerers/esses - and persuading them to give
>up their powers.  These books just rule.

Well, I know I just end up adding Oooh Me Too to most of these, but....

Yeah, these are pretty amazing!  I remember I bought the entire set used
from Powell's, thinking "why on earth would anyone get rid of these?"
followed by "I don't care if I *have* spent all my money for books this
month; technically I'm *saving* the money I would have to spend later to get
them at a much higher price.  When you think about it, it's practically
imperative that I buy them."  (I have to justify book purchases to myself
frequently.)

What stands out for me are the vivid colors and settings of the world.  It's
a Tour, but not the usual kind, and the characters change because of the
things they encounter.  The hero goes from being a semi-spoiled Prince of
the Godborn (title of the first book BTW) to being--well, that would ruin
the ending.  I read them when I was young enough to really be blown away by
the conclusion.  I made Jacob read them as an adult and he was equally
impressed.  They may be hard to find now, but worth the search.

Melissa Proffitt