The Princess Bride (was Re: McKillip)

Mon Sep 3 15:42:40 EDT 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 18:58:59 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>And generally, I'm fascinated by stories of people dealing with past
>problems - by denial, revenge, eventual resolution - as long as it's
>not a cut and dried get revenge and everything's immediately
>hunky-dory.  (Hehe - mental flash to Inigo in The Princess Bride and
>his "I've been in the revenge business for so long..." line.)

I had to rush off to the library on Saturday because of the impending long
weekend and subsequent early library closure.  I came up with quite a few of
the books I'd planned to get based on everyone's comments:

_Shade and Shadow_, Francine Woodbury
the two Mairelon books by Patricia Wrede
the first Ash book--next time TELL me it's in multiple volumes, I was so
dejected when it didn't show up in the computer search, and relieved when it
was actually there on the shelf
_Emerald House Rising_, Peg Kerr
the new Nebula Awards collection

The only one I couldn't get was _Contact_, which is a disadvantage of the
county library system.  It's generally a good thing, because they can house
a very large collection spread out over several buildings, but it also means
that not every library carries every book.

I also got _Forests of the Heart_ by Charles de Lint, which is next up for
my reading group.  We'll see how it goes.

And I'm reading _A College of Magics_ and have already figured out why I
thought it was Regency when it's actually Edwardian, but I'll save that for
later.

But the Inigo quote reminded me of the one thing I came up with that I took
on a whim:  the 25th anniversary edition of _The Princess Bride_ by William
Goldman.  Here's why.  Of course I've read the book before, and I own it, so
it's not like I need to check out the library copy.  But this edition
includes a NEW introduction, which, among other things, talks about the
making of the movie.  It also contains, at the end, a section called
"Buttercup's Baby" which continues the saga of Goldman's translations of S.
Morgenstern.  This is the first chapter of the sequel to _The Princess
Bride_, and has its own introduction just as the novel does.  I am half
convinced that Florin exists.  :)  I recommend taking a look at this,
perhaps in the spirit of reading a short story (unless it's been a while for
you, and you need to read the book again).  I read only the new parts, and
it was wonderful.

Melissa Proffitt