dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #356

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 15:00:26 EDT 2001

My mother in law, who is very eccentric, grew up in a border keep in
Scotland and I think her life was quite similar in some ways. I Capture the
Castle always reminds me of her. Certainly she and her sister were allowed
amazing freedom, going camping on their own on horseback when they were
about 10. They had owls living in the top, ruined part of the castle and
Judith used to do things like walk the cows over the hills to graze them. Of
course she also went to hunt balls and things like that. Her sister became v
eccentric and went round Scandinavia on a motor bike at about 16, she sailed
the Atlantic with her husband and a baby and married three times and now
lives in Tuscany. I'm v envious - I grew up in a poor Northern town and
going to the town centre was the most exciting thing I did...

Alex