More book recommendations.

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Mon Sep 3 10:43:02 EDT 2001

Hey Jenny!  Welcome.
Personally, after DWJ I'm quite fond of L'Engle (Only her earlier books,
though, I could never get in to the others.)  Roald Dahl, too, who has nt
been recommended for the generic assumption that he's good. We've had quite
a list of recommendations in the past week to recap what people have said:
Susan Cooper _dark is Rising _ series (recommened by Neil)
Tolkien _Lord of the Rings_ (can be considered kids books) (sophie)
Diane Duane's Wizardry series (Tarja)
Patricia Wrede's Dragon series (as an assumed...if you havent read them
drop everythng and do so right now!) and Book of Enchantments (frying pan
of doooom!  Frying pan of dooom!)
There's been a lot of discussion (not this round, though) of Pierce's Wild
Magic, Alanna, Circle of Magic, Circle Opens and Page series.  IMHO she got
a little over-ambitious and her books have suffered for it, but the first
three Wild Magic books and the first two Alanna books are good.
If you're willing to go off fiction Carl Sagan's _The Cosmic Connection_
and _dragons of Eden_ are supposedly for kids (Sagan is a non-fic author
was recommended by Melissa)
Dave Luckett's _Rhianna and the Wild Magic_ (Sally)
Jenny Nimmo (Kyra)
Joan Aiken's Nightfall (Sally)
Joan Aiken in general (Dorian)
There are many, many more, even just recommended since Friday, but ah me, I
am not as well-read as others here (and I bow to your superior knowledge)
so I am not sure which of the books that I have left off this list are for
children...
Rebecca

Rebecca D. Ganetzky