Book recommendations

Mon Sep 3 01:26:32 EDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:09:25 -0600, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

>My post about the heroes of Neil Gaiman reminded me of a favorite of
>mine on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Glen Cook's Garret novels are
>delightful.  They started as a fantasy riff on Nero Wolff--a fantasy
>look at the detective genre.  The thing I like most about Cook is that
>he thinks through the consequences of his alterations of reality and
>incorporates them in his books.  Garret is the hard boiled ex-marine
>detective hero who does the leg work for his genius house mate and is
>really no intellectual slouch on his own.  He's honest and funny and
>manages to figure it out in the end after taking his lumps.  I
>particularly like how Cook managed to merge a modern image of a city
>with Ogres and pixies living side-by-side ("It's hard to push human
>racial superiority over the next guy when the next guy might be an Ogre
>with no sense of humor").  The problem is that Glen Cook is far more
>popular with his Black Company series so Garret books are few and far
>between (like David Weber's fantasy series--only two so far).  Anyway,
>since many on the list like Janet Ivanovich, I thought you might like
>Cook's Garret.  It's a series where you absolutely must begin with the
>first book (_Bitter Gold Hearts_), though, and they don't do a very good
>job of keeping the prior books on the shelves (though you can usually
>find the latest one or two in bookstores).

Ahem.  The first book is _Sweet Silver Blues_.  Other than that, I second
what Jacob says.  I think this is another example of a series that he took a
chance on and got me hooked as well, and I'm grateful.  I don't like the
later books as much as the early ones, but in general it's a good series.
The supporting characters are really what makes it come alive, in my
opinion, especially Garrett's sidekick the Dead Man and his sometime partner
Morley Dotes the vegetarian half-elven assassin.  I find it very easy to
read these books just about any time.

Melissa Proffitt