dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #356

Mon Sep 3 01:22:05 EDT 2001

On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:22:32 , Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>and back to the Harry Potter discussion: in one article I read, Joanne
>Rowling claimed that one of her absolute favourite books was "I Capture the
>Castle" by Dodie Smith. As a consequence I read the book, and I've
>recommended it here before but I heartily repeat and second the
>recommendation.

Yes, and I don't think I ever thanked those of you who talked about it.  I
read it and fell madly in love with it.  What I love most is that at every
turn, there was some new reason I liked it.  First it was the AMAZING
descriptions of the castle; then their grinding poverty (I can't explain
except that it triggered a lot of other thoughts and reflections); then the
men; the scene with the fur coat, at which I believe I was crying with
hysterical laughter; and the father's writing and his novel.  I know I'm
leaving things out.  The transition from bleak cold winter to golden summer
and how it's reflected by the inner transitions of the characters and plot.
How vivid the landscape was.  Wow.

Melissa Proffitt