More books, Was: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Mon Sep 3 01:16:26 EDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:33:58 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Gross Family wrote:
>
>> _The Thread that Binds the Bones_ and _The Silent Strength of
>> Stones_ by Nina Kiriki Hoffman.
>
>Hmm. I'll have to look those up. I've read a couple of stories by that
>author (with the girl who talks to inanimate objects), but not those
>two.

_The Thread that Binds the Bones_ is still very hard to find, but for some
reason _The Silent Strength of Stones_ is available in US mass market
paperback.  They are sort of related, but not so much that you can't read
them independently.

My copy of _Thread_ is in one of those extra-special Hypatia Press volumes
called _Common Threads_.  It has (I think) all the stories about the
characters in the novel and is very nice.  The weird thing is, Hoffman's
books don't have much in the way of traditional plot, and they sort of
wander all over the place.  I guess _Stones_ does, which is probably why
it's in print.  :)  I like her characters, I like her magic, I like her
setting and descriptions....

Melissa Proffitt