Regency and other fantasy (was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter)

Sat Sep 1 17:43:44 EDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 18:22:22 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Melissa said...

>> Stevermer's world isn't a "Regency
>> fantasy" but the time period and society are to my mind very similar
>in
>> technology, education, sociology and general mentality.
>
>You think?  For the first quarter or so of the book, I wasn't actually
>sure what the period was supposed to be; it could have been almost
>anything!  At length things like motor-cars led me to deduce that it
>was somewhere around the early 20th century.

I'm going to read it again and then comment more clearly.  All I can
remember is that that's the impression I had--that it was some kind of
pre-modern setting.  It might not even be because of anything that really
happened in the book, just an overall feeling.  It's just been a while.  I
checked it out from the library today too.  :)

>> What I personally would like is a fantasy that's set in a culture that's
>> technologically and sociologically similar to the early 19th century.  What
>> I would find fascinating is a true Regency novel that's also a
>> fantasy--alternate universe, whatever.  It's possible; it just needs doing.
>> And yeah, there are a few, I'm sure (we could even start a list if you want)
>> but again NOT ENOUGH.
>
>Yes, there are a few, and no, there aren't enough.  Ones I've read and
>liked...Patricia Wrede's "Mairelon the Magician" and "Magician's
>Ward" - both set in Regency England.  Barbara Hambly's "Windrose
>Chronicles" ("The Silent Tower", "The Silicon Mage" and "Dog Wizard")
>and the related but stand-alone "Sorcerer's Ward" (of "Stranger at the
>Wedding" in the US edition) - setting is a fantasy world similar to
>Regency/early Industrial Revolution England (though the power of the
>Church (not Xtian, but similar) is closer to medieval/Renaissance).

I forgot to mention the religious setting of a Regency-style fantasy, which
is another factor.  I think the Church of that world is what made me
initially miss the fact that the Windrose books really are more early
19th-cent. in other ways...it seemed rather more powerful than I would
associate with the Regency era.  Anyway, very interesting.

>assume you've read Joan Aiken's "James III" books - loads of fun!

No, Joan Aiken is one of those authors I've mysteriously never read.  Maybe
a few here and there.  I don't know why.

>(That's quite enough for now, though I could go on about urban fantasy
>which is my own favourite genre.)

Yeah, but then you'd have to DEFINE it again.... :)

Melissa Proffitt