DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Sep 1 16:43:28 EDT 2001

Jennifer (and this is catch-up, so I'm just remembering what others wrote)

>I've only read Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I enjoyed it a lot, I also thought
>it was very good (Shades of the lit-crit thread! I'm sure various people
>said they could see a book was good but not enjoy it and all the other
>combinations of that), but it didn't somehow give me the same "feel" that
>enthralls me in the manner of a DWJ. My SO is reading one of hers (can't
>remember which) at the moment and I'll read it after he does, so I'll soon
>have another chance to tell.

_Winter Rose_ could be interesting for comparison as you've just read
_Tam Lin_, since it's another (looser) variation on Tam Lin.  Becca
and I both really liked WR, and _The Book of Atrix Wolfe_ (cool
backwards writing), but our favourite of these recent ones was _Song
for the Basilisk_.  Like Melissa, but I gather, unlike many McKillip
fans.  I think quite a few die-hards found it a bit unengaging (Ros,
you can correct me if I'm misremembering this from the list), but we
just loved it.  It's marginally less elusive than WR and BoAW, and is
just wonderful about music.  Really wonderful.

Hallie.