Stardust, was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Sep 1 16:32:17 EDT 2001

>on 1.9.2001 00:24, Melissa Proffitt at Melissa at Proffitt.com wrote:
>
>>  *WHY* am I the only one who liked _Stardust_?  Okay, sure, I can accept
>>  finding it dull after reading the graphic novel version, but...either I'm
>>  missing something or everyone else is nuts.  I think it's a really good
>>  fairy tale and he's using a roughly fairy-tale narrative style.  I do want
>>  to read the graphic novel eventually, though.
>
>I read the novel form _Stardust_ first without even knowing that there was
>also an illustrated version. I thought the book a nice modern fairy tale,
>very readable, but not that special. Later on I got the illustrated version
>(it's not really a graphic novel, more of a novella with lots of
>illustrations) as a gift and completely fell in love with it. The fact, that
>I've always liked Charles Vess's style might have a lot to do with that =).
>The illustrated version is just beautiful IMHO, a real treasure.

Ok, I guess I'm about there with you on _Stardust_, I liked it, but
didn't love it.  This is a completely subjective reaction here, but I
found the combination of beautiful, almost lyrical fairy-tale story
with rather graphic gore a bit unsettling.  (Don't have the energy to
do spoilers so I won't mention who/what gets it in the neck,
literally, but that part hurt!)  I'm a big wimp about that kind of
reading,though.

I must look out for the illustrated version, given your similar response.

Hallie.