More on reading (was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter)

Sat Sep 1 15:07:20 EDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:44:20 +0100, Neil Ward wrote:

>I love it when you all recommend brilliant fantasy/science fiction books,
>but I invariably feel like a complete dunce, as I've rarely read anything by
>the authors mentioned.

So?  Everyone has to read them for the first time *once*.  I'm still finding
books that no one ever told me about--and then there are the new ones being
published, like _Sabriel_ which wasn't around when I was an impressionable
teen....  Think how lucky you are that all these wonderful books spread out
before you, waiting to be read, because here I am scrambling to find new
ones.

>I now feel compelled to purchase dozens more books
>and add them to the monumental stack of uncracked tomes already teetering in
>the corner of the room.

I do that too.  And I've already read most of these.

>Can anyone recommend a speed reading course that simulates long, dreamy
>Sunday afternoons curled up on the sofa?

It helps if you can read right-to-left as well as left-to-right...but better
to enjoy the book than rush through it too quickly.  Have I mentioned that
the reason I read the Riddle-Master series about a million times was (aside
from its obvious greatness) that I read it too fast and didn't understand
what was really going on the first ten times?

>I will mention (again, probably) Peg Kerr's first novel, "Emerald House
>Rising," as a bit of a gem (ahem),

See?  You just mentioned something I've never heard of before!

>but I guess there's no point in
>mentioning Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" sequence in a
>'teaching-my-grandmother-to-suck-eggs' fashion: I'm currently absorbed in
>book two of the five and feeling an absolute fool for not having read them
>before.

Mmmmm, what a good series.  Aren't you glad you found it at all?

Melissa Proffitt