DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Sep 1 13:22:22 EDT 2001

Melissa said...

> Yes, what are we talking about here?  I mean that I don't get drawn
into
> Stevermer's books very well, NOT Regency-era fantasy.  Sorry for the
> confusion.  I'm a lot tireder than I was when I posted earlier; I'm
having
> trouble elaborating thoughts right now....

Ah, okay.  It was late, and I was tired, and I guess my brain wasn't
working too well.

> I'm annoyed that much of the fantasy published today is the "safe"
> faux-medieval stuff (good word).

Yeah, me too.  Don't get me wrong, I do like a good faux-medieval
fantasy...but I like much more a fantasy with either (a) an accurate
medieval setting (hence my love of "Ash") or (b) a fantasy with a
different time-setting.  (Just read Elizabeth Moon's "Sheepfarmer's
Daughter" - very good faux-medieval stuff.)

> Stevermer's world isn't a "Regency
> fantasy" but the time period and society are to my mind very similar
in
> technology, education, sociology and general mentality.

You think?  For the first quarter or so of the book, I wasn't actually
sure what the period was supposed to be; it could have been almost
anything!  At length things like motor-cars led me to deduce that it
was somewhere around the early 20th century.

> What I personally would like is a fantasy that's set in a culture
that's
> technologically and sociologically similar to the early 19th
century.  What
> I would find fascinating is a true Regency novel that's also a
> fantasy--alternate universe, whatever.  It's possible; it just needs
doing.
> And yeah, there are a few, I'm sure (we could even start a list if
you want)
> but again NOT ENOUGH.

Yes, there are a few, and no, there aren't enough.  Ones I've read and
liked...Patricia Wrede's "Mairelon the Magician" and "Magician's
Ward" - both set in Regency England.  Barbara Hambly's "Windrose
Chronicles" ("The Silent Tower", "The Silicon Mage" and "Dog Wizard")
and the related but stand-alone "Sorcerer's Ward" (of "Stranger at the
Wedding" in the US edition) - setting is a fantasy world similar to
Regency/early Industrial Revolution England (though the power of the
Church (not Xtian, but similar) is closer to medieval/Renaissance).  I
assume you've read Joan Aiken's "James III" books - loads of fun!

What else?  "Freedom & Necessity" by Stephen Brust and Emma Bull is
set in Victorian England.  Hambly again: "Those Who Hunt the Night"
and "Travelling with the Dead" - excellent vampire novels set in
Edwardian England (and, in the latter case, Europe).  Misty Lackey's
"The Fire Rose" is set in early 20th-century San Francisco.  Most of
Tim Powers' "The Anubis Gates" is set in Victorian London, and his
"The Drawing of the Dark" is Vienna during the wars against the Turks.

(That's quite enough for now, though I could go on about urban fantasy
which is my own favourite genre.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer