DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 1 10:39:03 EDT 2001

Jennifer wrote:

> I wish to report that the list's capacity for hooking people on books has
> worked again. I read Stevermer's College of Magics on holiday and it was
> marvellous. I got To Say Nothing Of The Dog some time ago and couldn't get
> into it at all, (and didn't dare admit it) and I'd just finished my
library
> books so I tried again today and it is, of course, wonderful. And THEN I
got
> to work and there was Tam Lin, which I have been trying to order for
MONTHS
> and it kept falling through, so I had to start it at once and I am
ADDICTED.

I love all these books! The only other one of Willis's I've read is
_Bellwhether_ and I loved that as well. It's probably one of the funniest
books I've read.

<stuff snipped here>

> The trouble is, this is so good that it makes me all cross with everything
> else around. I wish I hadn't read all of DWJ's books so I could fall into
> one in this sort of way. Her new one sounds like it won't be out for ages.
> Duane's Door Into Starlight won't be published till next year (and it's
> going to be bound with volume 3 which I already have, not fair), Bujold's
> Curse of Chalion has come out in hardback so I should be able to sneak
into
> shops and read it but nowhere has it, not even the SF bookshops. Spindle's
> End came out not long ago so I suppose there won't be a new McKinley for a
> while either.

I've just finished reading _Spindle's End_ and enjoyed it very much. I was
surprised at some of the amazon.com negative reviews of it. But it can't
beat some of McKinley's earlier books, especially _Beauty_ and the Damar
books.

I read Duane's _Door into Fire_, years ago, or at least I think that was
it--her first one is what I mean. I couldn't put it down, but I didn't find
the second in that series quite as engrossing, and I haven't read the third
at all.

>And that's about all of the authors who grab my mind like
> this. Other authors I like a lot (Cherryh, Pratchett, Kerr, Allingham,
> Sayers, the usual suspects * ), and I read history or science and find it
> really interesting, but they just don't have the same *feel*, I want to be
> enthralled by something magical, dammit, and once I finish this I'm back
> rereading- which is a joy, but not the same. Mutter grumble. Maybe
Forbidden
> Planet has The Last Unicorn or Bridge of Birds or some Lord Dunsany. There
> are some books I wanted for my birthday and didn't get, perhaps those
would
> help. Maybe I should go back to Fantasy Central and buy the Sabirn Trilogy
> (if somebody else hasn't gotten it). Maybe I should go to the library and
> not impoverish myself further. Maybe I should read Howl again and stop
> whinging.

I feel this way sometimes, too, Jennifer. And sometimes I feel that the
books by some favourite writers aren't qute as addictive as their earlier
ones, and I'm not sure why that is.
Melissa said something that might be connected to this in a recent
email--she said that some writers are finally writing what they really want
to. So perhaps they've matured as writers, but, although I still like their
new books, I found them more addictive when they were less mature!

Ros