Peg Kerr

Neil Ward neilward at dircon.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 09:04:15 EDT 2001

Tarja said:

<< I agree with you, Peg Kerr's book was a very good first novel. I also
have her second book _The Wild Swans_ which I haven't read yet, but the
backcover blurb (I know, I know, don't believe them) describes it as working
on two times England 1689 and New York 1981 and I think it somehow works
into the narrative the fairy tale "Seven Brothers" (or whatever it's called
in English, the story where the brothers are transformed into swans and
their sister has to save them), but I'm not sure. As I said, I haven't read
it yet...>>

I have read "The Wild Swans" and absolutely adored it.  The only reason I
didn't mention it in my previous post was that it sits rather on the
outskirts of the fantasy genre.  It's nothing like her first book, but it
made me cry and left me feeling stunned.   The story alternates and
intermixes between a reworking of the fable about Elisa and her eleven
'swan' brothers and the story of Elias, a young, gay man coping with coming
out and the first appearances of HIV/AIDS.  It sounds like it shouldn't
work, but it does.  I'd love to know what you think of it.

Incidentally, Peg is currently in the midst of writing her third book, which
is due to be set in the same universe as "Emerald House Rising".

Neil