More on reading (was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter)

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Sat Sep 1 08:26:20 EDT 2001

on 1.9.2001 11:44, Neil Ward at neilward at dircon.co.uk wrote:

> I will mention (again, probably) Peg Kerr's first novel, "Emerald House
> Rising," as a bit of a gem (ahem), but I guess there's no point in
> mentioning Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" sequence in a
> 'teaching-my-grandmother-to-suck-eggs' fashion: I'm currently absorbed in
> book two of the five and feeling an absolute fool for not having read them
> before.

I agree with you, Peg Kerr's book was a very good first novel. I also have
her second book _The Wild Swans_ which I haven't read yet, but the backcover
blurb (I know, I know, don't believe them) describes it as working on two
times England 1689 and New York 1981 and I think it somehow works into the
narrative the fairy tale "Seven Brothers" (or whatever it's called in
English, the story where the brothers are transformed into swans and their
sister has to save them), but I'm not sure. As I said, I haven't read it
yet...

> Neil (who now believes the saying "Life begins at 40")

LOL!

Tarja