Stardust, was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Sat Sep 1 08:26:20 EDT 2001

on 1.9.2001 00:24, Melissa Proffitt at Melissa at Proffitt.com wrote:

> *WHY* am I the only one who liked _Stardust_?  Okay, sure, I can accept
> finding it dull after reading the graphic novel version, but...either I'm
> missing something or everyone else is nuts.  I think it's a really good
> fairy tale and he's using a roughly fairy-tale narrative style.  I do want
> to read the graphic novel eventually, though.

I read the novel form _Stardust_ first without even knowing that there was
also an illustrated version. I thought the book a nice modern fairy tale,
very readable, but not that special. Later on I got the illustrated version
(it's not really a graphic novel, more of a novella with lots of
illustrations) as a gift and completely fell in love with it. The fact, that
I've always liked Charles Vess's style might have a lot to do with that =).
The illustrated version is just beautiful IMHO, a real treasure.

Tarja