More on reading (was Re: DWJ's answers: Harry Potter)

Sat Sep 1 01:04:24 EDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:58:30 -0400, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

>>But this list is, as you say, really good for hooking people on new
>>books...doesn't ANYONE have something fabulous to suggest?  That I haven't
>>already read?  Anyone??

>Um...You've probably read them all but my personal favorites that haven't
>been discussed here that I can remember:
>Crichton's Timeline, for people into SF and Everst universes.

This was the first time I felt he was being smug about how much people know
about history that is Wrong.  Plus I wasn't sure how reliable his sources
were.  I'd like to check them out someday.

>deLint's anything, but particularly Dreams Underfoot.

I think he's better at the short form than the novel.  _Dreams Underfoot_ is
one of my favorite short story collections, and I just don't read many short
stories.

>Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens.

Yum.  I think of this book every time I get a call from an unmanned
auto-dialer, which is way too often and deserves a screaming demon ripping
down the phone line.  Also reread _Thief of Time_ yesterday and Terry
Pratchett is still just amazing to me.

>Gaiman's Neverwhere and Stardust

I'd like to see the Neverwhere series someday.  I caught the tail end of one
episode, and it didn't occur to me what it was until it was over--and then I
never could find when it was being aired again.

>Carl Sagan's Contact

Have you seen the movie?  Which do you think is better?

>Oh!   Haven't read them yet, but they look amazing:  The new collection of
>Nebula Awards, look for it under Willis (The editor)

Oooh, this IS a good idea!  My reading group has almost finished reading all
the Nebula-nominated novels for this year.  (One of the members belongs to
SFWA and had to read them anyway, and it was a lot of fun.)  I'd forgotten
about the short stories being out.

>Wrede's Snow White Rose Red (Which I just got a copy of).

That was a good one.  Wish I had a copy.

>Here's a suggestion ,very few people have read the entire Fairy Tale series
>in my experience.  Go to the library and get Steven Brust's the Sun, the
>Moon and the Stars.

My favorite.  I should probably buy this one eventually too.  Steven Brust
is another amazing writer.  Now if only he'd finish _The Viscount of
Adrilankha_--THAT would make me happy.  (I suppose I could read _Freedom &
Necessity_ again.)

>Oh, I just finished Orson Scott Card's Enchantment, which was reasonable,
>although not wonderful, defineatly a good step fantasy-wise for Card.

I keep passing this one over.  Don't know why.  Just this vague feeling that
I'm not in the "right mood" for it.

>Ender's Game's good, too, of course.

I'm glad I finally read _Ender's Shadow_ and _Shadow of the Hegemon_.  Liked
the second one better, probably because I liked the new direction he was
going in.  One of the things I like about Card is that he does a lot of
research about things and sometimes includes a bibliography.  Reading
_Pastwatch_ was enhanced by then reading the source material on Mesoamerican
cultures.  After reading _Hegemon_ I wanted to read more about Thailand.
Very cool.

>Hayden's Rhapsody is supposed to be good, but I'm just starting it.

We do not speak of that book in this house.  (That was hyperbole.)  Looks
like the third book is out now too, though I don't know if it's the end of
the series.  Jacob liked _Rhapsody_; I don't think I would, based on his
description.  I'd like to hear your take on it when you finish.

The thing about being a stay-at-home mother is that I find I have MORE time
to read than I did five years ago.  Couple that with my being a really fast
reader and, well, I run out of books quickly.  Plus I no longer feel obliged
to finish a book I don't like.  I'm so glad there are public libraries or
I'd be really poor.

Melissa Proffitt