DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Sat Sep 1 00:43:14 EDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:45:24 +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> >But this list is, as you say, really good for hooking people on new
>> >books...doesn't ANYONE have something fabulous to suggest?  That I
>haven't
>> >already read?  Anyone??
>

>Have you read - The Perilous Gard, by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Yes.  It is a Crime Against Literature that she spent most of her efforts on
non-fiction.

>Polymer, by Sally Rogers-Davidson

I have TRIED to get this woman's books here, but it's just not easy.

>Sabriel - by Garth Nix

And Lirael.  I can't decide which I like better.

>Rhianna and the Wild Magic, by Dave Luckett

Same problem with living in the boondocks of the United States.  (But will
you all slaughter me if I admit I didn't like _A Dark Winter_?)

>Translations in Celadon, by Me?

Did you see who you were responding to?  :)

But this also reminds me that I wanted to mention the Great Aussie Invasion
that seems to be happening here.  I was browsing Barnes & Noble a month or
so ago and it seemed that all the books I picked up were by Australian
authors--or at least people living in Australia, as I'm aware there's a
difference.  There were at least three of them, but the only one I can
remember now is also the only one I've read so far:  _The Ill-Made Mute_ by
Cecilia Dart-Thornton.  Coincidentally, I was checking out the Del Rey
online writers' group because of people on our list who are in it (tangent:
I have some friends who are in it too; do you know Jana Stocks and/or Polly
Harris?) and discovered that this book was published as a result of that
group.  It's...interesting.  The prose is beautiful, and I like the premise,
but I'm waiting to read the rest of the series before making a final
judgement.  The hero is maybe a little too perfect.

Garth Nix is also doing good things for the younger crowd with his Seventh
Tower series.  I've only read the first so far, and it's geared toward the
middle-reader crowd (ages 8-14), but it's an excellent example of how you
don't have to sacrifice good writing for a simple, exciting plot.  He is
churning those puppies out like you would not believe.  My personal belief
is that such books are more likely to produce strong readers than, say,
Animorphs or Jedi Apprentice, but that's probably just the elitism talking.

Melissa Proffitt