Bumbling heroes was RE: Gaiman's American Gods

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 16 05:31:11 EDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Speaking of Hitchhikers, did any other UK listmembers watch the
> Top 10 Sci-Fi on Saturday night? I liked the clips- I wish they'd do
> a rerun of Sapphire And Steel now- I'd never heard of it (too young,
> sorry), but it looked wierd. I don't think the Tomorrow People or
> Buck Rogers reeeaallly deserved to be in there- though there haven't
> been that many sf shows to choose from!

I've heard it suggested that it was really a Nostalgia Top 10, which
seems to fit.

> Any US people who have only seen the Dr Who tv movie with Joe McGann
> a couple of years ago and think it was rubbish, you're right, but
> the serieses were triffic.

It wasn't that bad, just not as well written as it could have been. Or
cast. And it was simultaneously too nostalgic and insufficiently
respectful of tradition.

But the production values were nice, the direction was excellent, and
Paul McGann did very well, I thought.

(It was Paul McGann. Joe McGann was the one who starred in
_Truckers_.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."