Scottish bookshops

el.buchanan at btinternet.com el.buchanan at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 15 11:00:33 EDT 2001

Hi I am a dedicated lurker on this list but as an Edinburger born and bred I feel I nedd to stick up for the Scots bookshops and appreciation of Diana Wynne Jones.

> >I was quite disappointed when I arrived in Scotland to find that there
> >wasn't much DWJ lying around in bookstores.
> Maybe the Scots just don't like English/Welsh authors much.

I am not sure where in Scotland you are but I know the large Waterstones and Thins in Edinburgh, all located in the City centre, have usually got a number of copies of each of the reprinted childrens titles and her adult books. I am sure this is also true of other branches in Scotland and they will order books they don't have for you.

>  I'm pretty sure there are a
> couple of Forbidden Planets up there, though I don't know where.

There is a Forbidden Planet on South Bridge in Edinburgh and on Buchanan Street in Glasgow although I don't know what their DWJ stock is like they do have a great selection of books.

Scotland is a lovely country, although October is not the nicest time of year I have to admit and you are not the only DWJ and peanutbutter and jam sandwich fan in it.