Gaiman's American Gods

Sun Oct 14 21:24:20 EDT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:23:08 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>i'm deciding to give the DWJ mailing list one more go despite the fact that
>the conversations usually seem to go this way for me -- either dead ending
>or someone who thinks he's a Very Smart Guy (MLs and forums are full of
>you!) jumps down my throat. but, i'm tired of letting Very Smart Guys win,
>so i'm back. since your attitude was not appreciated by some other list
>members, either, i feel a little better about myself.

I'm glad to hear it.  Nevertheless, I would like to suggest that you
consider what you say as well.  It's not all very smart guys snapping at
you; making statements like "this book is fluff" without backing it up with
evidence makes you sound very high-handed yourself.  That was a terribly
dismissive statement about a book that other people here liked a lot.  If
conversations usually go this way for you--and if you are, as you say, crap
at literary criticism--the problem is probably not entirely other people.  I
wouldn't say this if I didn't think you had some interesting ideas to
contribute; I would just let you leave.  :)  But I do think you bring a
different perspective and I would like to see you stick around for a while.

Most of us here are not experts at literary discussion.  Those of us who are
aren't superior because of it.  The one thing we have in common is that both
groups here are willing to talk out their subjective impressions of books.
If you hate a book, feel free to gripe about it.  You're entitled to your
opinion.  But here, you generally can't get away with just griping unless
you can say why you hated something.  And it's a good bet that if you are
considerate of others, you'll get the same in return.

Melissa Proffitt
(don't bother yelling at me in reply, I'm in Germany)