Gaiman's American Gods

Sun Oct 14 21:07:01 EDT 2001

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:04:17 EDT, JOdel at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/10/01 10:29:18 AM, Melissa at Proffitt.com writes:
>
><< When I was a teen, Arthur Dent made an impression on me because I
>had never seen a protagonist like him before.  And he was still the first
>thing that came to mind when I read _Neverwhere_.  Some of that is obviously
>setting and plot: ordinary guy in England is drawn violently out of his own
>world into another about which he knows nothing.  >>
>
>Funny. Sounds like Bilbo Baggins to me...

The above refers to what makes Mayhew and Dent similar, not what the entire
character of Arthur Dent is like.  Bilbo very quickly realizes that he's far
more competent in the strange new world he finds himself in than even Thorin
and Co. are.  Arthur Dent stays a bumbler--a diffident bumbler--for a very
long time.  And I wouldn't call Bilbo's departure violent, despite its
abruptness and pocket-handkerchief-less-ness.  Certainly not compared to
being transported into a Vogon spaceship.  Bilbo at least has the
opportunity to travel through familiar territory before gradually getting
deeper and deeper into the strange wilderness and then to the Lonely
Mountain.  I wonder how much wandering invisible in the elven halls preyed
on his mind.  He seemed to take to thievery pretty well after that.

Melissa Proffitt