Gaiman's American Gods--going more off topic

Bill Edminster bedminst at mc.net
Sat Oct 13 12:41:15 EDT 2001

  When I was in elementary school in the 1960s, a full year or season of an
American series ran to 39 episodes and then summer reruns.  Sometimes there
were summer replacements so you never saw a rerun during a full year.  When an
American thinks of a series, it's something that's going to be in the same
time spot for a full year with reruns picking up the slack.  That's weakening
as the networks have stopped defining television.

  Since I want to visit London someday soon, I pick up Time Out, the guide to
what's on in London.  In the TV section, a reviewer was talking about a pilot
that was being shown and he wondered why there wasn't a second one made.  I've
been dying to explain to anyone that if something stays a pilot, it means that
it was never aired and no one saw a reason to try to revamp it.  The summer
replacements in the 1960s were sometimes just left over pilots but that's very
unusual.