Neverwhere (was Re: Gaiman's American Gods)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Oct 10 08:10:22 EDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, christian nutt wrote:
>
> > as i think i said in another post, i also felt like he basically
> > lifted richard mayhew from douglas adam's hitchhiker's guide's
> > arthur dent, and sent him to play in the london sewers.
<snip>

> Certainly Richard Mayhew is not the first Everyman hero to be thrown
> into adventure in a world whose existence he'd never suspected; but
> then, neither is Arthur Dent. People have been writing similar stories
> for centuries: it's the differences that matter, not the similarities.
>
> With that in mind, I'll point out that there's at least one important
> difference between Arthur Dent and Richard Mayhew.
> Richard does things, where Arthur merely has things done to him.
I do agree with Paul on this one. Richard is much more active about things
than Arthur. However, the one thing that I always need to remember about
Neverwhere is that it started out as a miniseries first. So the things
that I particularly love about the book are the ones that couldn't have
been gotten across in the miniseries--things like Door always reading a
copy of Mansfield Park that the owner of the bookshelf she found it on
didn't know he had. (did that sentence make any sense at all?)