Gaiman's American Gods

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 10 02:25:34 EDT 2001

Possible spoiler

>interesting, and i would have to agree. but the tone of AG is nothing like
>DWJ, is the stumbling block in comparing them. i guess i'm into style as
>much as i am into message. or the importance of style as much as the
>importance of message. AG is really rather unlike DWJ's work, in that
>sense. not just because it's a book for adults (after all, she has hers as
>well.) also, shadow is just a character who would never come within 50
>feet of a DWJ book, i think.

I have to ask, have you read Fire and Hemlock, or Homeward Bounders? I
don't really know what you mean by style versus message, because what I was
trying to say was that stylistically and thematically there are
similarities in the works. Do you mean their use of language is different?
Like on a sentence level? I agree with this, but if you see that kind of
difference as a barrier to comparison, then it is impossible to compare the
works of any two authors.

Shadow seems to me to have an awful lot in common with Mitt, as I alluded
in my previous message (perhaps too subtly). It really struck me, actually
at the moment when Shadow works out who his father is, and yet kind of
knows it all along, that was really like Mitt in Drowned Ammet, and there
seems to be a similar feeling to the underlying character's sense of self
-- there's knowledge there about their own mortality or immortality that
they each avoid by kind of refusing to have a personality. Just being big
and covering up cleverness and trying to get along without making waves.

Robyn