Gaiman's American Gods

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 10 00:45:18 EDT 2001

>i read american gods right when it came out, maybe 2 months ago at this
>point. i really like it. however, i would say that the neil gaiman book
>that would appeal most to DWJ fans might be stardust.. not that they
>wouldn't like AG, but i think stardust is a little more "similiar" to
>DWJ's work in a number of ways. AG was nice because gaiman did something
>fairly original, although if you're a fan of his other work it isn't
>exactly a stretch. i particularly like the main character. he was very
>fresh and interesting and well-portrayed. a good book.

I thought American Gods was much more like the feel of DWJ's work -- trying
not to spoil too much -- the theme of what seem to be ordinary people on
the surface turning out to be gods (or undying or whatever they are called,
supernaturals anyway) walking around in the mortal world always strikes me
as very typically DWJ: there's Mitt and his experiences, Archer and co in
Archer's Goon, the whole family in Spellcoats and the one I read years ago
where Loki turned up. I found my knowledge of DWJ really informed my
reading of Gaiman's book, partly because I know they are friends and I read
the acknowledgements; very early on in the book I was saying to myself
"aha, I know where this is going".

Robyn