More on HP vs DWJ

christian nutt ferricide at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:36:36 EDT 2001

you have done an excellent job of summarizing what's ... wrong ... with
harry potter. or pulling out a great example of what bugs me about it. i've
read the first 3 books and they're entertaining.. well, the last third of
the 2nd book and most of the 3rd book, anyway, imo.

but the problem that has always bothered me is that harry has no internal
life. there is nothing going on inside his head there. there certainly isn't
much in the way of emotional development. that's why i think the HP books
are basically fluff. i suppose he will never be challenged or change or have
to change. he made his lifelong friends 10 minutes into the first book, so
that's the end of that.

there's more stuff that bugs me about HP that, incidentally, DWJ carries off
much better, but i suppose it would be tacky to go into it, and i imagine
the ML has covered a lot of this territory already. i used to skip HP
threads cos i hadn't read the books.

[ christian nutt - ferricide at hotmail.com ]