The American Gods - Eight Days of Luke link

Preisig, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Preisig at KLINE.com
Mon Oct 1 23:26:48 EDT 2001

I have resurrected my daily searches to monitor what is being said about DWJ
on usenet.  There was an interesting disussion in the Neil Gamain newsgroup
about his novel American Gods and how much it was or was not derived from
Eight Days of Luke.  It prompted this response from Gaiman on his website
(http://www.neilgaiman.com/archive/2001_09_01_archive.asp)

Lots of questions waiting -- a few people want to know whether American Gods
was inspired by Diana Wynne Jones's novel "8 Days of Luke". Not exactly,
although they bear an odd relationship, like second cousins once removed or
something. About six or seven years ago, I had an idea for a structure for a
story, all about the gods and the days of the week. I chewed it and played
with it and was terribly happy with it.. And then the penny dropped, and I
realised, gloomily, that I'd managed, working back from first principles, to
come up with a wonderful structure for a story -- but one that Diana had
already used, in her brilliant "8 Days of Luke." So I put it down as one of
those places where our heads went to the same sort of place (it happened
with the nursery rhyme How Many Miles To Babylon, and in several other times
and places) and, with regret, I abandoned it. Or almost. I kept Mr
Wednesday, and the day of his meeting, in the back of my head, and when I
came to put American Gods together, he was there, ready and waiting.

Byeeee,
Kylie