Grrr, blurbs

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Mon Oct 1 10:34:52 EDT 2001

> I really like Harry Potter but prefer DJW. And I get iritaded when it
> sounds like DJW strated after Rowlings.

Alas, I get irritated a *lot*. Not only about the above and its ilk (and my
use of this expression may well irritate some of you!), but when I read
quotes that are obviously either ignorant or wrong.

A mag recently quoted Rowling as saying she used Initials because "she was
afraid editors would reject her ms if they knew she was a woman."

Please! Most children's book writers (about 75%) *are* women. If she said
that it shows ignorance, if she didn't (and I doubt if she did) it shows
stupidity from whoever misquoted her. What do they think it is - 1901?

Then there's the well-known political journo who was quoted as saying he was
going to write a children's book because "there are no happy ones out
there".

Aghhhh!

Sallyo.