word associations

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Nov 30 22:11:52 EST 2001

I've been thinking about this for a while, but it seems like a good time
to mention it--look! over here! have this discussion, so people can finish
reading Hexwood!

I've been rereading The Fellowship of the Ring in preparation for seeing
the movie, and every time I see the word "queer," which is used quite
often, I think "Dorig." I think "queer yellow eyes" and "sheep" and
"cold" and "silver scaly bodies." Clearly, the word "queer" has a stronger
DWJ association than most words. However, the word "wriggly" also is a DWJ
word in my mind--Vierran's hair in Hexwood is wriggly, as is Vivian's in
Time City. (Maybe that's why I always connected the two a bit.)

Do other people have these strong associations with words or phrases? Does
this happen with other authors as well?

I know that Robin McKinley tends to write complex sentences with
semicolons, as I started writing like that after having read a whole bunch
of her stuff. Any other examples?