W32.Badtrans.B@mm virus

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Nov 30 13:39:21 EST 2001

Deirdre Behan said...

> I discovered a virus on the computer last night. It is the
W32.Badtrans.B at mm
> virus. It comes as an email attachment. If you receive any emails
from me
> with an attachment that ends in .pif or .scr please delete them
immediately.

The damn' thing is all over the place; in the last day or so I've
received it from 3 or 4 different people (but was able to spot and
delete it before it did any harm).

I got a tip from another list on how to mitigate some of the problem
with this type of virus:  if you insert a contact called "000" with no
e-mail address (or an e-mail address of "000") into your address book,
these things will apparently not be able to send themselves out from
your system.  Seemingly if they meet an invalid e-mail address they
just give up in disgust.  This won't, of course, stop whatever damage
a virus may do to your hard disk/file system, but at least you won't
be propagating the nasty thing.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer