W32.Badtrans.B@mm virus

neilward at dircon.co.uk neilward at dircon.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 06:56:56 EST 2001

Deirdre Behan <dbehan at indigo.ie> said:

> I discovered a virus on the computer last night. It is the W32.Badtrans.B at mm
> virus. It comes as an email attachment. If you receive any emails from me
> with an attachment that ends in .pif or .scr please delete them immediately.

Deirdre, you are not alone!  This blasted thing has been everywhere.  I
picked it up yesterday morning and my computer gleefully forwarded it to
several people (it opened automatically) before I could clear it out of the
system.  I've since received it again from three other people, but my virus
checker is quarantining it now.

It seems to have surfaced quite recently, so - everyone - if your virus
strings were updated before 24th November, you may need to update them again,
pronto.

Apparently, MAC users are immune to this type of virus.  The worst
combination of factors (which I have) is a PC with Outlook (or OE), Internet
Explorer and Windows.

The virus will disguise itself as an email from someone you know, utilising
the header from an old message it finds in your email archives (it can even
drag e-mail addresses out of temp internet files).  Basically, be wary of
anything that has attachments.

Neil