BD1 Hexwood

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 21:57:56 EST 2001

Why is Hexwood so Difficult

I found that rereading Hexwood with the specific aim of discussion
did wonders for my powers of concentration and observation. I
certainly engaged more with the book than I ever had before. And
my opinion of it is higher. So, anyhow,  the first thing I want to
discuss is why was it so hard in the first place.

As several people have mentioned already there's the subject
matter. The tale of Mordion's upbringing is appalling (and in this
reading I met this head on for the first time since my first reading). I
don't think it is gratuitous, it raises some very uncomfortable moral
questions. I keep wondering what other choices Mordion could
have made and whether that is a valid question given the degree of,
I was going to say brainwashing, but what Reigner One did was
more like brain bonsai, Mordion underwent. I had nightmares on the
two nights I was reading Hexwood. The first one left me with an
enormous sense of relief on waking -- that I was not in fact guilty of
murdering someone, the second was, worse. I think that on
previous rereadings I have had my guard up as regards this
passage to the extent that it blunted my understanding of
Mordion's character and relationships considerably.

The second reason Hexwood is difficult is in it's structure -- if you
will forgive the phrasing, but it spontaneously entered my notes --
"It's a bleeding f***wit arse-backwards way to tell a story. And it's
also very clever and quite neccessary -- even if it does make me
feel like one of those stupid adults Dwj talks about.

Dwj always hides some of her working out. In Hexwood she hides
just about all of it. In fact she is hiding everything behind everything
else -- much like the Bannus of course. What I found out on this
rereading was that knowing that everything and everyone were in
the field of the Bannus the whole time is not the same as actually
keeping that in the forefront of the mind when reading (not for me at
any rate). I managed to keep hold of how the main threads of the
story fitted together but I couldn't keep track of all the paths and
byways (and, dammit, isn't that just like being lost in a wood?). I
was wondering if anyone has ever tried to chart the book's events in
any way?

There's more I could add, but I'll wait for feedback, so as not to hog
the floor.
                                           Ven.

The truth will make ye fret

Terry Pratchett, The Truth.