hexwood -- schedule? method?

Wed Nov 28 10:51:32 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:09:57 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>did anyone ever come up with a schedule for reading hexwood? i know a few
>people posted that they'd finished already, but nothing's come of it.
>personally, i think we should have a 'read by' date where we all commence
>talking.
>
>second, did we ever figure a method? i know people went back and forth
>talking about either reading the whole book and then talking or reading it
>in chunks.. was anything ever decided on? is this going anywhere? i got my
>copy of hexwood back, so i'm keen for this to take flight. =)

I think it's usually better to read the entire book before discussing it,
because even if the schedule says to read it in sections, there will always
be someone who's read the whole thing anyway.  And it's very difficult to
not give things away in those cases, especially if you don't remember what
happened in which section.

I also think the discussion would benefit by having a group discussion
leader--someone who would be responsible for posting the reading deadline
and then for initiating the conversation, either by posting a list of
discussion questions or just a message telling us to begin spouting NOW.
That's difficult because sometimes people don't want to seem pushy or bossy,
but without that, we'll all just sit around waiting for something to happen.
There's also no reason that it always has to be the same person leading the
discussion.  I nominate one of the eager beavers whose idea this was in the
first place.  :)  Seriously--I'm in a "live" reading group, and we don't
have those problems because the face-to-face interaction doesn't delay
you think about ______?"

Melissa Proffitt