Words, sounds, pictures

Wed Nov 21 15:02:38 EST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:11:37 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>I read fast.  People keep telling me this.  They stare at me in blank
>amazement and say things like "you can't possibly have finished that
>book already!".  I've always been a fast reader; when I took part in a
>sponsored "read-in" (people sponsored you per book read in a
>fortnight) as a child, my mother had to handicap me by only allowing
>me to count books I hadn't read before.

My handicap was that my mom wouldn't let me accept per-book payments of more
than a nickel.  I remember once I came home all thrilled because someone had
pledged 50 cents per book and I knew I was going to make a pile!  She made
me go back and make the lady change her pledge.  Rats.

(On that subject, when I was about 7 or 8 our school did one of these
read-a-thons where you didn't get people to pledge money, but you got to
release one helium balloon for every ten books you read.  They probably
don't do this any more--environmentally unsound--but it was sure a fun
sight.)

>But I'm not sure how my reading speed compares to other people's.
>Maybe I just know an awful lot of really slow readers. :-)

That's really the trouble, isn't it?  It's all subjective.  Though I was
thinking, if there aren't many really fast readers, and the distribution is
fairly even, chances are you'd always be the fastest reader you knew.  Until
the Internet, of course.

Melissa Proffitt