Book Rec.

Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 17:26:36 EST 2001

Eek.  I read the thief after my baby brother read it in English class and
thought it was great.  Doesn't she have a DWJ mention in there somewhere?
It might be in her book of short stories, but I'm pretty sure that there's
a connection.  I liked The Thief a _lot_, but the sequel REALLY upset me.
I read it while sitting in a Barnes and Noble (hardback, college student,
you know how it is) and I had to skip ahead to the ending, too.  And even
though it was okay, I didn't go back and read the whole thing.  Like I
said, it really bothered me.

On another note--I wonder about being read to and reading styles.  Hallie,
you read to your children a lot, it seems--do you think this has made them
more auditory readers, or had some other effect?  I know my parents read
to me a LOT when I was little--Chronicles of Narnia, maybe a bit too
young--but when I got to be about seven I could read so much faster that
the slowness of the story made me hate being read to.  I'm still not big
on it--I'm not really a books on tape person.  I avoid them whenever
possible, actually.  But then again when I read to people (I used to read
to my baby brother until he got to be a teenager and waaaaaaaay too cool
for me) they almost always have to remind me to slow down, and I get
distracted--my voice keep reading, but my eyes have gone ahead and read
everything they could see and then my voice forgets to keep going or
something and, well, I end up going off and reading the rest of the book
to myself.  Oh, well.

lizzie

If you don't think it sounds good. . .  we probably don't like the kind of
music you listen to.
	John McCrea of CAKE on their music