Book Rec.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Nov 19 17:07:47 EST 2001

Ok then, "book rave" might be more honest. :)  I picked up _The
Thief_ by Megan Whalen Turner, without ever having heard of it, just
because it sounded interesting.  Two pages in, I was sure we'd like
it, so read it to Becca.  We both really loved it, enough so that we
had to buy the next one, _The Queen of Attolia_ in hardback, as we
couldn't even wait until January for the pb to come out.  It was only
when I was ordering that one that I found out that _The Thief_ was a
Newbery Honor book.

I haven't read any books I've liked as much in ages.  Really engaging
characters, unpredictable plot, surprises, for which the hints are
given very cleverly, (but never arrogant "I'm smarter than the
reader" seeming cleverness).  Just one warning though - TQoA is
recommended for ages 10 and up, but is *much* more disturbing than
TT.  So much so that when Becca went off to bed after I'd read
Chapter 3 to her (it's a shocker!), she insisted that I read the end
to be sure it was going to be ok.  Something she's never done, and
she's read plenty of "adult books".  But even having read it all
skew-wise like that, I still read and reread it happily night after
night.  And then turned around and started _The Thief_ again. :)
Becca says to add that she even dreamed about TQoA three nights in a
row!  Only downside is that we've nothing to read now that comes
close.

Hallie.