OT: HP movie

Bill Edminster bedminst at mc.net
Sun Nov 18 19:56:44 EST 2001

Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

> SPOILER (says the girl, who hasn't seen the movie yet, but deperately
> wanted to know opinions anyway)
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> OKAY, that's all the space you get.
> >>On Hermione's puzzle not being included
> >One obvious point is that the logic puzzle isn't very cinematic...
> Or perchance the producers couldn't figure out the puzzle <grin>  I
> personally am really upset about that, because I was very much irritated
> that the reader wasn't able to solve the puzzle with Hermione in the book
> (it depended on shape, and iirc, color, as well.  And I was looking forward
> to seeing the implementation visually so I could try to solve it.  It might
> actually be unsovable, has anyone checked and tried messing around with the
> clues?  I only have my Hebrew version with me (Thank you, again, Gili) and
> my Hebrew isn't far enough advanced to figure it out.
> I think it's terrible that they left it out, quite seriously, now, because
> it's the thing that's supposed to prove that being a wizard sin't just
> about _flash_ and it's also Snape's puzzle, which I think is necessary
> because you realise that Snape is helping, too.
>
> Rebecca D. Ganetzky
> "...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
> it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel

  I believe that the writers tried to demonstrate Hermione's heroic qualities,
if not the quality of logic, in the first test with the plant so that they
could cut something uncinematic from the movie.  I don't believe that Hermione
was slighted.

  No one I know will be seeing the movie until after Thanksgiving this Thursday
so I'm pleased to be able to get the following off my chest.

  For all the things they included in the movie I still missed things that were
cut.  It would have been better in the end to be faithful to the spirit of the
book rather than be faithful to the text of the book.

  I was disappointed by the performances because I was comparing them to Jim
Dale's reading in the American books on tape and CD.  His Professor McGonicle
and Hagrid were especially good and were better than what I consider were the
two best performances in the movie.