dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) words vs pictures

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 17:01:50 EST 2001

< Now, me, I think I hear the words and receive
<sensory, not just visual, impressions, but its hard to <watch yourself
<reading. >

That is funny. Years ago a friend told me that she could see the story both as she read it, and as she created it herself (she wrote fan fic).  She added that she knew what the characters looked like, and what was in the closets in the rooms....

I, on the other hand, usually tell myself the story as I write--and sort of as I read.  I never see pictures.

This intrigued me, so I did an informal survey in Trek and SF fandom--very small sample (less than 200 responses). When you daydream, I said...assuming that everyone does, rather than pussyfooting around the suggestion...

Still, it had quite interesting results.  Most people who considered themselves writers said the words, or saw them as if they were typing.  People who felt that their primary orientation was artistic generally saw pictures--like watching a movie, some said.

Devra