Words, sounds, pictures

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Wed Nov 14 16:29:08 EST 2001

Jacob:
>.  I
>think that the average person reads a regular novel in about seven hours
>(just to put it on the scale we've invented here).
What are we declaring to be a regular novel?  I takes me about half an hour
to read Lives of Christopher Chant cover to cover, over 20 hours to read a
500 page Morrison book (I can't read it consecutively, I get stuck and read
the same page over and over and over.  Needless to say, she isn't one of my
favorite authors.)  I'd say on average it takes me about an hour to read a
hundred pages, if I like the book enough to read for long periods at a
time. but it's really dependent on the book and the author.  In general the
faster the author the better I like them (that may not be the correct
direction, causally -- Jones is very fast, as is Wrede, de Lint, Dean,
Willis and a number of others.  Slow includes such things as Keneally
Morrison, and most other Epic Fantasy (and my Neuroscience textbook)

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel