Words, sounds, pictures

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Nov 14 16:11:37 EST 2001

Melissa said...

> Anyone else read in a peculiar way?

<grin>  I have no idea.  I'm generally so interested in the story that
I don't stop to look at *how* I'm reading it!

> And (while we're on the topic) what do you
> consider fast when it comes to reading?

I read fast.  People keep telling me this.  They stare at me in blank
amazement and say things like "you can't possibly have finished that
book already!".  I've always been a fast reader; when I took part in a
sponsored "read-in" (people sponsored you per book read in a
fortnight) as a child, my mother had to handicap me by only allowing
me to count books I hadn't read before.  My sponsors were still
freaked by the number of books I'd gone through!

But I'm not sure how my reading speed compares to other people's.
Maybe I just know an awful lot of really slow readers. :-)  The
average kids' book - say, something about the size of "Eight Days of
Luke" - I would read in an hour or so.  I did discover recently that I
read Connie Willis more slowly than normal, because I'm thinking about
what's going on, what might be the clues, what they might mean...  But
I don't often do this.

Jacob added...

> Well, I know that you are between 2.5 and 3 times faster than me.  I
> also think that for you, reading is kind of like a different
language.
> You trip on misspelled words the same way anyone else trips on
> mispronounced words.  My pet theory is that reading is never
translated
> into English for you.  i.e. you don't need to "hear" words for them
> have meaning.

Hm.  That's interesting.  Misspelled words have the same effect on
me - but on the other hand, I get very annoyed by words I can't
pronounce, even though I don't think I do pronounce them when I'm
reading.  Maybe it's some kind of "if I can't pronounce it, it must be
misspelled" conflation. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer