Words, sounds, pictures

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Nov 14 09:44:37 EST 2001

Jacob wrote:
> When I read, I hear the words in my head and that means
>that my reading speed is fundamentally limited by the speed of
>speech--if I speed up past hearing the words, then everything takes on a
>monotone quality and things like commas and other pacing elements are
>lost.

Huh. I hear words as I read, and I certainly find that I can read too fast-
overrun my comprehension speed, maybe- but my habitual speed is quite a bit
faster then faster than speech. I am another one who reads faster than all
their RL friends- is it something about DWJ??? I've never timed myself, but
I usually finish a "normal-length" fiction book by reading it on the way to
work (about an hour), at lunch, and on the way home.
There was an article today in the Independant (I can't find it on the
webpage) saying how silly the author finds the grownups-reading-Potter
phenomenon, and we should all grow up and read things "aimed at our age
group". (Ooh, I just love fulfilling my demographic stereotype.) He said the
ones who puzzle him most are those who read lots of things but are prepared
to spend a week or so plodding thorough something as puerile as that. Well,
maybe if I did take a week to get through a children's book, I'd get bored
with it too! Jeez, the Potter books are a fun way to spend a couple of hours
if there's nothing on TV!
(He wasn't as dismissive of children's books as I've made him sound, BTW, he
had a couple of good points- if an adult read *only* children's books I
might get worried that they may like dividing the world into Us/Absolute
Good and Them/Total Evil too much, not want to think about sexual
relationships, blabla, but he was saying that once you hit 18 you should be
totally mature at all times and never look at anything written for children
ever again unless you are reading it to your kids and "reliving the magic"
with them, which I think is silly.)

Is anyone ready to start discussing Hexwood yet?
Jen