Words, sounds, pictures

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:15:43 EST 2001

Lizzie said:
>I have a really strong sense of direction when I read.  I always know in
>my head the general layout of the place, and which way everything faces.
>I have a map in my head of Ingary, and I have a feel of the elevation of
>the hills around Market Chipping
yes!  That's it exactly!
>. . . I've always been the type to study
>maps in the front of books, but the place feelings in my head are much
>much stronger.
Ditto on that, too.  I find, also that the style in which the map is drawn
will change my mental pictures of the places.
<snip>
>  I know what
>people look like and so on and so forth but I have to think about it to
>know--the way I have to try to remember dreams.
Yes, and, for me at least, sometimes it's fuzzy, like a half remembered
dream, and it's only when I look at something that reminds me that the
whole picture unfolds.

said Jennifer:
>I enjoy non-fiction, and I was wondering how those who read "filmically" find
>it? What sort of images come up when you read things without characters and
>places? If an article has illustrations, do those add to your enjoyment or
>distract you?
That's odd because i was just thinking about that.  I was switching over to
Sagan's the Cosmic Connection and finding that I wasn't quite engrossed,
and  I didn't know why, and I think that's it.  I always gavitate towards
graphs and graphics in articles/textbooks, and I enjoy watching non-fiction
Educational TV shows, but I don't really enjoy non-fiction books, unless
they have problem sets!  I LOVE problem sets!  Says the perky biochem major
who just got another one from Organic Chem today!  YAY!  I love organic
chemistry.    (I'm overly perky)
RDG

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel